Monday, August 22, 2005

Flogging Molly


Ok... Time for some fun, amidst all my political angst, frustrations, and anxiety. I took my wife and six year old daughter to Chicago last week to see a band called Flogging Molly. It was just as energetic and precise as I could have hoped. Maggie had a wonderful time. She was familiar with a good portion of their matierial, and has loved them since I first played them for her. We stood in the aisle as close to the stage as we could, with her on my shoulders so she could get a decent view. She was mesmerized. I was delighted. It was really cool to be standing there with her on my shoulders, while 6'2" 300# guys with tattooed faces, piercings, and leather collars made their way up to the bar for another whisky. As they passed, they all smiled when they saw her, and a good many of them stopped to say that it was "really fucking cool that you brought her." Then, they'd turn to Maggie, and ask if she's having fun. She couldn't be bothered, but they all understood. That made me very happy. Maggie even got a Flogging Molly T-shirt. Thus far, she's seen Ray Charles (she was only a few weeks old, so it really doesn't count), Utah Phillips, and Flogging Molly. I'd say she's well on her way to appreciating excellent music.

Ok. I promise not to get happy again. Vacation's over, and it's time to go back to work.

Fuck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home