Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Punk-Ass!!


I just saw a documentary on IFC about the evolution of punk. I know it's trivial, but it's always pissed me off that The Ramones get credit for originating punk. The Ramones' first album was released in 1976. The Stooges first album was released in 1969. Maybe it's because I'm from Ann Arbor, and I personally know people who have played with the Ashetons, and Iggy for that matter. I'm way too young to have noticed it while it was happening, but I'm a HUGE fan of the Stooges. And that has nothing to do with my girth. The stuff that was coming out of NYC in the mid to late 70s was good, no doubt, but pales in comparison to The Stooges and MC5. Ann Arbor, not NYC, was the birthplace of punk. Thanks to Iggy, the Ashetons, and John Sinclair.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home