Monday, October 10, 2005

The Monkey Thing


Every so often, you find a piece of music that just blows your freakin' mind. Lately, I've been sifting through different jazz musicians looking for something new (to me) and interesting. I came across Rahsaan Roland Kirk's "Kirk in Copenhagen". Track 3, The Monkey Thing, has Sonny Boy Williamson sitting in. Unfreakin'believable!!! Although I had never actually heard any of his material, I had heard OF him. This guy just blows my mind. I've never heard such versatility, technique, and intensity from one musician. A true genius. Hearing that track made me feel like I did the first time I heard Kashmir, Around The Plynth, How High The Moon, and The Wizard. I was in complete awe, and had never heard anything quite like it before. Too bad I noticed him 28 years too late.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home